Thursday, June 01, 2006

Latvian Orthodox Baby!

And with those words from George Costanza's mouth I was to fulfill a dream. One that in realisation involved a lot more bad fashion sense than I could ever conceive (and I have worn some pretty bad things in my time).

Riga is a pretty (but) small city that can be seen in 3 days. The history of Latvia as a country is rather sad, involving occupation after occupation since the middle ages, and finally ending only 15 years ago. Which coincidentally is about where their fashion sense is at... think fake leopard, snake, tiger, zebra print all in abundance with extra mini skirts (i could live with that one) and high heels (standard issue 10cm heel). I even saw people walking on the beach in high heels! I have a theory that the women are so beautiful they dress as badly as possible to not make tourist feel too bad.

Katrin and I meet a woman from Lithuania who has been living in Berlin for 15 years, she had to go home for work and had already paid for her hotel room for the night... Bonus, we stayed in her hotel for free and watched the sun set from the 11th floor bar over the bay of Riga at about 10:30 pm!! The €95 room a night beat our €10 dorm room by a fraction, although I got a better nights sleep in the hostel, but combined with the copious amounts of vodka drunk the results are inconclusive.

The EU is concerned about the state of Latvian roads, admittedly they are terrible, but please for all concerned lets get some textiles into this country.

ps the Kavorka lives on

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home